"Cutting Desire" is an article about individuals with Body Integrity Identity Disorder (BIID) which is the "overwhelming desire to amputate on or more healthy limbs or become paraplegic." This illness is most prevalent in middle aged, white males. There is a debate between whether or not this is a mental illness or a part of an identity that is wired into an individual genes. Jesse Ellison discussed several different aspects in regards to BIID, scientists are trying to draw attention to this disease to get more funding for research. There are many unanswered questions about this cutting desire.
I find it interesting that the majority of people that struggle with BIID are middle aged, white men. There are a lot of pressure in today's society to be successful and obtain the perfect life. Our culture defines the perfect life as having a strong sense of community with friends and family, a secure job, and an ideal body. These pressures can be overwhelming. In a world were many men provide the income for their families, these pressures are increased. I think these pressures can escalate BIID.
Therapy can be a very good way of treating this disease. Although many people state that "nothing touches it except surgery. Psychotherapy doesn't work. Psychiatry doesn't work. Medication doesn't work." Although these individuals do not think therapy is a good way of treating this disease, I think with the right medication and the right amount of therapy sessions, the disease can be under control. Furthermore, I think that support groups would be a key element in getting BIID under control. Having people that can relate to the struggle would be a great way to release intense feelings. I do not think surgery is the only way to cure this disease.
Personally, I think this is a very selfish disease. There are people in this world that are born with a missing limb or endure a traumatic experience through out their lives in which a limb needs to be amputated. The article states that "the idea of deliberately becoming disabled could seem offensive to disabled advocacy groups." I completely agree with this statement. Disabilities are a serious problem in today's society and I find it disturbing that there are people in this world that would willingly cut off a perfectly healthy limb.
I have seen the emotional and mental responses of how a person reacts to an amputated limb. My cousin was in the Marines. He was walking with his fellow Marines when he stepped on a bomb and lost both of his legs. It was not his choice to lose his legs and it has greatly influenced his life. If he could go back to that day and change what he did, I am sure he would. People take their lives for granted. I think we all need to put our lives into perspective and realize how good we have it. This disease is insulting to many people.
No comments:
Post a Comment