Monday, February 1, 2016

Jess Izzo Blog

Pure confidence.  Remarkably brave.  Uncommonly bold.  Just a few of the adjectives that begin to describe 30 year old bodybuilder, Roxanne Edwards.  While many 30 year old women have settled into their careers and families, Edwards has just began her incredible bodybuilding journey.  Throughout the interview with Dis Magazine, the idea of the “perfect body” was consistently discussed.  Through the responses she provided, her audience received a glimpse into the mindset of Roxanne Edwards.  
Personally I don't believe those who take exercising to the extreme have a healthy body image. Edwards is 5’3,” 138 pounds, and has less than four percent body fat.  She is a petite woman with a body fat percentage that is extremely unhealthy.  Furthermore, she spoke about taking steroids early in the interview.  Using steroids “to look twice as big on stage” does not represent an individual with a healthy body image.  Moreover, Edwards stated that ”all I am is muscle and eyes and teeth and some abs. That's it!”  While she takes pride in her appearance, realistically, Edwards does not represent someone with a “healthy body image.”  However,  in class we discussed the idea of the perfect body image.  I believe that Edwards can be perceived as one that has acquired the perfect body.  Ideal and flawless.  Society strives to obtain the perfect body: ripped, toned, cut, which are all characteristics of Edward’s body.
Although Roxanne Edwards might be perceived as having the perfect body, when competing the issue of race arises.  She describes a situation in which she is competing against a white woman who is identical to her, same weight, height, and performance.  Because Roxanne is African American, the woman she is competing against will have a better outcome because of her race.  “They want what they can market.” Roxanne expresses that this situation is unfair, and leave it at that.  
Femininity is currently an extremely popular topic.  I respect Edward’s view on this topic.  She believes that women can be defined however they want.  Women have the ability to work past their insecurities because she is living proof.  “I see where their insecurities are and wish I could do something to change them.”  Edwards expresses that she has her own insecurities, however they are quite different from other women’s.  While many women are insecure about their physical appearance, Edward’s insecurities remain more mental and emotional than physical.  Her stance on this topic is extremely interesting and refreshing to read.

After listening to the interview I looked at the pictures of Roxanne.  Her appearance is very intimidating, but after listening to her interview I respect all of the hard work she has put into her journey.  Her confidence is extremely inspiring, she is perfectly comfortable in her own body and would not do anything to change it.  Roxanne spoke about participating in nude photoshoots.  I applaud her for having the courage to partake in this.  In todays society, everyone is extremely critical and judgmental in regards to body image.  Roxanne Edwards embraces her body and her life which is extremely inspiring for everyone who has come across her story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment